2019 Orchid Award Nominations
Keep Knoxville Beautiful is now accepting nominations from the public for its beautification awards, the Orchids. Since 1979, Keep Knoxville Beautiful has presented Orchid Awards to Knoxville and Knox County buildings and outdoor spaces that beautify and elevate the local landscape.
Anyone can nominate a property using the form below for any of the following six categories:
- New Architecture: The new architecture award will go to the project that demonstrates excellence in overall design, aesthetics, form, and proportion; appropriate use of materials; and the magnitude of visual impact on the area. Building must be complete at the time of nomination submission.
- Redesign/Reuse: The award for reuse and redesign goes to the project that re imagines an older building for purposes other than originally intended. Property renovations must be complete at the time of nomination submission.
- Restaurant/Cafe/Bar/Brewery: Whether refined, urban, or comfortably down home, this award is given to the nominee that elevates and improves its surroundings.
- Outdoor Space: Well-designed and maintained parks, play spaces, restaurant patios, and public gardens, etc. that give us wonderful ways to enjoy the beauty of our East Tennessee home. Outdoor space nominees must be open to and easily accessible for the public.
- Community Garden: This new award will be given to a neighborhood, school, senior living facility, apartment complex, etc. that has a creative and well-designed garden for their community members.
- Public Art (Murals, Sculptures, Signage, etc.):The award for public art goes to the project that best enhances the surrounding environment, transforms the landscape, and expresses the values of our community.
- Environmental Stewardship (Properties that incorporate renewable materials, energy efficiency, LEED certification and/or other sustainable building practices): These properties are judged for their interior and exterior — specifically, how well the building and/or garden promotes sustainability and minimizes their carbon footprint. Nominees are judged on their aesthetic and visual qualities as well as their sustainable features.
Private residences are not considered for this award. Properties that received an Orchid Award since 2009 are ineligible except in cases of major renovations. (See list of past winners). The due date for nominations is Friday, December 14, 2018.
Keep Knoxville Beautiful will announce the winners of the beautification awards at the 2019 Orchids Awards Dinner on Tuesday, February 26, at 6:00 at The Press Room on N. Broadway. Please visit our Orchid Awards event web page for tickets and more information.
Nominate a Property for a 2019 Orchid Award
Complete the following form to nominate a property.
We would like to invite everyone involved in the design, development, and construction of the nominated properties to the Orchid Awards dinner in order to celebrate everyone's accomplishments; please provide all available contact information.
*Please note that nominated locations are judged by photos--not by on-site visits. Photos of the property/artwork must be submitted to email@example.com to complete a nomination. Redesign/Reuse nominations require before and after photos.
We hope that you will join us on Tuesday, February 26, 2018 at The Press Room at 6 PM to celebrate all of the nominees who have worked so hard to make our city more beautiful.
Please see the 2019 Orchid Awards page for more information.