At Keep Knoxville Beautiful, our mission is to promote litter eradication, recycling, and beautification efforts in Knox County communities using education, events, and volunteer engagement.
Here are some of the ways we're keeping Knoxville clean, green, and beautiful.
Keep Knoxville Beautiful has been working hard for almost four decades to eradicate litter from our landscape. Every year we conduct an extensive litter assessment to check our progress, and we are proud to say that our efforts are paying off: last year's assessment was our best on record. For as long as litter continues to be a problem, here's how we'll continue to fight it:
- We plan major Keep Knoxville Beautiful litter clean ups. Click here to become a volunteer.
- We support smaller groups who want to organize their own clean ups by providing free supplies and sometimes additional volunteers. On average, every year we organize or support over 2,000 volunteers who remove over 50,000 pounds of litter from our roads and waterways. Click here to start organizing a clean up.
Recycling preserves valuable resources, creates jobs, and reduces landfilling costs for our City and County.
- We offer our Recycling Trailer free of charge to anyone who wants to provide recycling at an event. Click here learn more and to request the recycling trailer.
- Our public education and kids programs teach the importance of waste-prevention, recycling, litter-prevention, and environmental stewardship. Click here to learn more and to request a free visit from our program coordinator.
- We organize mass plantings called "Beautification Mobs"--staff and volunteers who plant flowers, bushes, and trees to dramatically improve a local landscape in a single day. Click here to become a volunteer.
- Know of a public space or area business in need of some sprucing up? Click here to nominate a Beautification Mob location.
- Our new graffiti-abatement program promotes positive solutions and supports victims of graffiti. Click here for more information.
- Our mural program created the Knoxville Music History Mural in 2000 and the Old City Train Mural in 2002. Visit us soon for information about a third mural.
Keep Knoxville Beautiful is an affiliate of Keep America Beautiful and a 2015 President's Circle Award recipient.